PHOENIX, ARIZONA…Western Star Trucks today introduced three new Stratosphere® sleepers, making it the broadest line of walk-through sleepers in the industry. Known for its unique combination of traditional styling and modern engineering, Western Star’s popular Stratosphere family now includes 40- and 54-inch sizes as well as an 82-inch Ultra High model, the industry’s largest sleeper by interior volume.
The three new sleeper configurations are now offered in addition to the existing 68- and 82-inch Stratosphere sleepers and feature the same distinctive walk-through design, roof-mounted air horns and marker lights, and flat floor. The new configurations are now available for order on Western Star 4900 EX, 4900 SA, and 4900 FA models.
“Since introducing our first Stratosphere sleeper three years ago, customer demand has increased tremendously,” said Matt Stevenson, manager of product strategy for Western Star Trucks. “By adding the new 40-, 54-, and 82-inch Ultra High configurations, we are now able to offer both over-the-road and vocational customers the best and broadest selection of walk-through sleepers in the industry.”
A key feature in the design of all Stratosphere sleepers is the significant amount of additional headroom provided in the area between the driver's and passenger's seat. This headroom allows the driver or passenger to stand up and walk through the cab to the sleeper compartment without crouching or bending over. Additionally, because the floor is flat between the cab and the sleeper, the driver or passenger does not have to navigate steps or ledges as is the case with other
40-inch Stratosphere Sleeper
The new 40-inch Stratosphere sleeper, the shortest walk-through sleeper offered by a Class 8 OEM, is ideal for vocational applications such as specialized hauling, construction, oil field, and logging. In these types of applications where the sleeper may only be needed to meet operating requirements or for storing equipment, customers will benefit from the same stand-up room as a larger sleeper but without the added weight or reduced visibility.
“For a customer working on a vocational job site where there is activity in every direction, it’s imperative for them to have excellent visibility,” said Stevenson. “This new Stratosphere meets that demand with four optional windows – front Vista, left- and right-hand side, and rear. This gives drivers more than 16 square feet of added glass for outstanding visibility.”
Additionally, the new configuration weighs less than 500 pounds and offers a comfortable 31-inch bunk, which gives customers more payload opportunities and a roomy interior.
54-inch Stratosphere Sleeper
Designed for heavy haul, regional haul, construction, and export applications, the new 54-inch Stratosphere sleeper is ideal for weight-conscious customers. As weight and payload are critical in these applications, this configuration was designed to be lightweight yet strong and durable.
“In addition to the North American market, we expect the 54-inch sleeper to be very popular in Australia where drivers can stay within the length laws and enjoy the comforts of the Stratosphere sleeper,” added Stevenson. “With so many comfort and performance options, both the 54- and 40-inch Stratosphere sleepers are poised to make a significant contribution to our success in the vocational sleeper market.”
Additionally, this sleeper features a 35-inch bunk and a full roof fairing and side extenders for over-the-road applications to help improve fuel economy.
82-inch Ultra High Stratosphere Sleeper
Ideal for long-haul customers, the new 82-inch Ultra High Stratosphere sleeper offers the largest sleeper by volume on the market today. With more room to work and relax, this model is 13.8 inches higher than the original 82-inch Stratosphere and offers more than 30 cubic feet of additional living and storage space. The added space also allows for a fixed upper bunk that can be used in conjunction with a dinette seating option.
“Not only will drivers appreciate the roominess of the sleeper, but they may also see an impact on their bottom line because of its improved aerodynamics,” said Stevenson. “The 82-inch Ultra High model stands from ground to top of sleeper at more than 13 feet, improving airflow efficiency on a standard 13-foot, 6-inch van trailer.”
With numerous standard and optional features available on all of the new Stratosphere sleepers, drivers can customize their premium truck to their exact specifications.
The following are some popular features offered on Stratosphere sleepers:
• Full stand-up roof height through cab and sleeper
• Flat floor for easy movement from cab to sleeper
• Integral cab/sleeper air-ride support
• Optional painted steel or stainless steel exterior sunvisor
• Optional sleeper side extenders
• Roof-mounted air horns and marker lights
• Optional composite aluminum cab/sleeper floor or severe service galvanized steel cab floor
• Optional Vista front window
• 25” x 37.25” tinted RHS window with optional LHS (82-inch High Roof and 54-inch model)
• 18.25” x 36.75” tinted sliding rear window (optional on 82-inch High Roof and 54-inch model, standard on 40-inch model)
• Optional 17.75” x 30.5” tinted RH/LH windows (40-inch model only)
• Mesa and Phoenix trim levels with gray, tan, blue, and maroon colors (both cloth and vinyl diamond stitch)
• Floor covering: black mats, black carpet, and color coordinated carpet
• Optional premium insulation
• Front overhead console with storage compartments
• LHS and RHS cabinets mid- and full cabinets (82-inch High Roof)
• Rear wall storage compartment (82-inch High Roof)
• Sleeper heater and air conditioning
• Lift-able lower bunk with optional spring mattress: 43” or optional 48” (82-inch High Roof), 35” (54-inch model) and 31” (40-inch model)
• Optional Drivers Lounge Convertible to 41-5/8” or 48” fixed lower bunk (82-inch High Roof only)
• Optional Automatic Temperature Control (climate control)
• (1-5) 12V outlets mounted in control panel, LH/RH wall, rear of bunk (82-inch Ultra High model only)
• Sleeper control panel on rear wall with HVAC controls and 12V outlet (54-inch model only)
Western Star Stratosphere sleepers are now available for order at Western Star dealers. Customers can locate their nearest dealer by calling (866) 850-STAR or by visiting www.WesternStarTrucks.com.
Western Star Trucks, headquartered in Redford, Mich., produces heavy-duty custom trucks for long-haul and vocational applications. Western Star is a company of Freightliner LLC. Freightliner LLC is a unit of DaimlerChrysler, the world's leading commercial vehicle manufacturer.